A year ago, maybe even 9 months ago, Micah was my eater. He would eat anything and everything, and often. I'm not sure what precipitated the change, there are many theories. But these days, he hardly ever wants to eat what's put in front of him at the table, especially at lunch and dinner. Luckily, he still loves his veggies (except tomato) and adores all fruit.

Caleb has never been too picky at all, but often ate like a bird. His only exceptions used to be with spaghetti and pizza. Lately he's been eating nearly as much or sometimes more than I do! He doesn't seem to be putting on any chunk, but he must be growing because it's gotta be going somewhere!

So imagine my surprise when I made open-faced tuna melt sandwiches tonight (Micah's without tomato) and Caleb dilly dallied about eating his, while Micah scarfed it right down!

Simple Tuna Melts

2 English muffins, split and toasted
1 can Tuna (I used chunk light tuna)
Mayo (however much til you get the consistency you like)
Pepper (to taste)
Tomato, sliced into rounds
Cheese (I used Finlandia Double Gloucester cheese on mine and Finlandia Havarti cheese -naturally lactose free!- on the boys')

Heat oven to broil. Mix the tuna, mayo, and pepper. Spread on toasted muffins, top with a tomato slice and a slice of cheese. Place on a cookie sheet and broil for 1 1/2-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

2 Comments:

  1. JoNo and family said...
    I'm always trying to figure out how to alter your yummy food ideas for my gluten and dairy free kid. I think this one would work with gluten-free toasted bread and no cheese (though the cheese would HAVE to be on mine!
    Hello said...
    Yeah... I know they make soy cheese but that wouldn't help him any. You could add some other sort of seasoning to jazz up the plain tuna... I like celery salt or coriander.

Post a Comment