I woke up this morning with quite a headache, but I was glad I have the day off work (TGIF!). So I decided to be lazy and not get dressed to take Caleb to school. I just put my coat over my pjs and headed out the door. Micah was the last one out of the house, and he closed the door*.

We drove over to school, which is about 1.4 minutes away.

Let me stop here to describe where we live. We live in the county, between a city of about 30,000 and a city of 9,000. Caleb's school is in a "community"... Which means it has a school, a post office, a tavern, and two churches... and a population of 95 people, but no city government and it is under the county's jurisdiction. Well we happen to be not within this community but in the small area served by the school. Like I said, we're very close to the school, so you can imagine how small the area is. We're about 4 minutes from either city, on a road is not a highway, but that is popular for folks going back and forth from one to the other.

Back to the story.

Caleb hopped out of the car after giving me the mandatory kiss, and began his routine of "directing" me via hand signals to back up and out of the parking lot. Well, when I turned to look back before backing up (Side note: A pet peeve of mine is when people only use their mirrors when backing up. So dangerous!) I saw a pickup truck pull up behind me and stop in my way! A bit annoyed, I watched as the gray-haired man rolled down his window. So I rolled mine down, to see what he would say. I did not expect the following.

"I just drove by your house and your front door was wide open."

So I had several thoughts shoot through my brain at roughly the same time:

1. How do you know where I live?
2. Why is the door open?
3. Did somebody open the door?
4. *Micah must've not closed the door all the way.
5. Who is this guy?
6. He must be a grandpa dropping of a kid at school.
7. Have I seen this truck driving by my house?
8. I hope no animals are perusing the house.
9. Good thing I'm not headed to work but back home.
10. Thanks!

Luckily brains work very quickly and don't frequently spit out the wrong answer at the wrong time. I said, "Oh! Thanks!" and he pulled forward out so I could go on my way.

Ok so it's a little scary that strangers know where I live. Sure, the road a frequently traveled, just-over-1-and-1/2-mile stretch with about 7 houses. Sure, my house is about 8 feet off the road. And the guy probably drives by my house regularly, sees me at the school regularly. It's still a little creepy. I have friends and family who don't know where I live, but this stranger does. Sure, he's a nice "neighborly" guy, concerned that my house was wide open to the not-so-neighborly types, but it does make me wonder who ELSE knows where I live and where I go when I leave there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment