A member of one of my favorite bands, downhere, posted this on their MySpace blog, and I thought I'd steal it and post it here to share... And while I'm at it, I highly recommend you listen to their music if you haven't yet.


Sunday, September 10, 2006


The Real Jesus... What's in a name?
Category: Music

A name is so much more than a combination of letters that we attach to people or things. When you think of a name of someone you know, you don't think about the letters or the spelling, you think about the person. The name and the person are interchangeable in your mind.

I've been thinking lately about the meaning of names. More specifically, the relationship between a name's meaning and the person the name is attached to. Most people's names have an origin... a meaning. My name means "Hammer Warrior". Which is cool, because my favorite thing happens to be going to war with nothing but a hammer as a weapon. It's a hard job, but someone's gotta do it. No, but really... I'm still trying to figure that one out. Maybe my hammer is my guitar... isn't it supposed to be an axe? Oh well. Maybe it's a french thing. Jason's name means "Relevant Healer", Jeremy's name means "God will uplift", and Glenn's name means... um, "A glen of lavender". How about that.

Some names conjure some pretty strong emotions in us. Some names make us angry, some leave us feeling nostalgic... some go in one ear and out the other. But there is a name I know that is so full of meaning that it causes a vast array of reactions in people. And this fact alone proves to me the importance of this name. We all may react differently to it... but we all REACT. I believe it's the one name that demands a response. The person attached to this name is the only person I know who fully, completely, and perfectly lives up to his name. The name means "The Lord is salvation". The name is Jesus.

Check out "The Real Jesus", just added to our music player.

Thanks,
Marc


0 Comments:

Post a Comment