We went to San Francisco yesterday. Do not ask me why. First of all, we left really late (11:30am). A trip mapquest suggested would take 53 minutes took about double that. The traffic was so bad, we had to pull over on the freeway shoulder so I could feed Micah. Did I mention I got to sit in the back seat BETWEEN carseats in the Legacy? Not comfy, had to get creative with breastfeeding position.

The traffic did not end at the freeway, of course. We traveled at a leasurely (read: snail's) pace through a lot of city. Don't ask me how far, I have blocked that painful bit of memory. We thought we found a parking garage with reasonable rates ($3/hour) only to discover every last unreserved parking stall decidedly taken. We found another parking garage at $5/hr. and finally a spot on the roof level.

We trekked a few blocks back to the aquarium and enjoyed THAT thoroughly. There are tunnels that take you THROUGH the aquarium.... I mean you are surrounded by sea life for 180 degrees. Not only that, there is a motorized walkway (read: Stand don't walk). My favorite sight? The Moon Jelly life cycle. Reminiscent of Finding Nemo, but without animators pulling the strings so to speak.

When we finish, it's time to eat dinner. We stroll the fisherman's wharf, which is quite lively, but hustled off (as if one can hustle through what I would access as a throng of people) back to the car and a Peruvian restaurant B located on the internet.

It was a small, crowded, trendy place. We were the only table with children, let alone breastfeeding. The place (comically) refers to itself as "nouveau Peruvian" (funny because nouveau is new in FRENCH, not Spanish), but Mom spotted something authentic looking for me on the menu. However, Mom says it wasn't quite right. My inexperience led to ignorant bliss, and I enjoyed it anyway. Alas, we were not impressed and are unlikely to return. When you have two kids, the family-friendliness (or lack thereof) counts for a lot.

We embarked for the (remarkably short) journey home so late, we backseaters fell asleep in no time.

Final analysis: Return only under these conditions; (1) leave home after the peak of SF morning rush hour on a weekday to allow more time in the city and less in traffic; (2)bring linebacker to herd the group through the masses.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Yay for the big city! I've always wanted to go to San Fran -- catch an opera, eat at a fancy restaurant, ride a trolly car, check out Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge.
    Hello said...
    Yes I think it would be better/fun as a date or girls' night rather than a family outing.

Post a Comment