I am somewhat against New Year's resolutions.

I feel like if God is giving us breath each morning, He is giving us the opportunity to improve. And so, waiting for the Gregorian calendar to flip to January 1 to start taking action in an area of life in which we feel we lack... Seems a little silly to me. If it works for you, then good for you.

I am reminded of something I said jokingly to somebody who was telling about how he failed at his resolution to quit smoking, only later to break their back in a work-related accident. During recovery, he essentially had to quit smoking and has stuck with it ever since.

"God has more resolve than you."

I said it jokingly, but it turned out to have a profound truth in it that has stuck with me. If there is something that we feel like is a hindrance in our lifes or an area in which we'd like to improve, asking God (any time of the year) to help is really the way to go. He'll have a plan, and even if we quit, He won't ever give up on us.

But I digress.

Instead of a really making a New Year's resolution, I decided to make a list of the things I'd like to do this year. It's not some sort of crazy I-must-do-all-these-things-or-I'm-a-failure sort of list, it's more of writing everything down that I'd like to do. I will try to do them all. If I don't get to do them all this year, there's nothing magical about Dec. 31. I'll just keep working on it.


So here is my progress:

1. Downloaded the form.
2. Waiting for Bryan to finish the academy.
3. Gina's working on it. :)
4. Looked into it. Need to reinstall Photoshop.
5. Knitting one last scarf with the same stitch. Bookmarked tutorials on expertvillage.com
6. Bookmarked some lessons online. Need to find a good time for this during the week and get my bass from storage.
7. This one's going to have to wait for the new house... Not much room to cook/bake here.
8. This one IS 2009-specific. I'm up to 7 including this post. So far so good.
9. This one will have to wait for warm weather... June, July, August, September
10. Again, waiting for warmer weather. But this could be in the spring, depending on the destination.

2 Comments:

  1. Gina: said...
    3. Yes! I am working on it. Waiting for another response from dh's manager... then I can post another update :-)

    4. Reinstall photoshop. Now! Or if not photoshop, The Gimp! Create! Design! Go!
    Hello said...
    I can't find my installation CD! Bryan used it last and I don't know where he put it. I did install GIMP on Friday but I haven't figured it out yet.

Post a Comment