I was listening to some talk radio on the topic of MLK's I Have A Dream Speech and President Obama. I'm part of a generation that never thought a black person COULDN'T be president.

But have we acheived Dr. King's Dream? That's the question I keep hearing. Some say yes, some say we're on our way, some say we have yet to begin. Still some say no, but not because of a belief that America is racist, but because many have gone so far in the opposite direction. We're not judging by the content of anyone's character, because they may be labeled a minority, and we'd be labeled racist to judge at all.

Sure, I do believe there ARE racist people out there, I have actually experienced a tiny taste of that even. But I think its a dying trend. It may have its strongholds, but as every person who got any airtime yesterday pointed out, the inauguration of a man of color into the presidency is evidence that a majority of us don't subscribe to such hate.

So, on to the quote, which I found to be succinct and profound:

"Labels are for soup cans." --Joe Getty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment