I just got yet another email forward about a woman who supposedly died, allegedly from her birth control, the type that allows you to menstruate only four times a year. The email asserts that her use of the pill caused a gigantic blood clot that formed at her neck. Doctors sprang into action but apparently it continued to "spread" to her head before anything could be done about it.
If the original author truly believes this is not clear. That's the way it is with email forwards. I probably get more hoaxes than real emails. I always check with Snopes.com to be sure. But I especially despise forwards of the medical variety. I mean, how could I ever know if the person was not just making things up? And if they weren't purely fabricating SPAM, how could I know they know the slightest thing about medicine? And if they do know a bit about medicine, why would I trust them (whomever they may be) over my own reading, doctor, and instinct?
Surely you wouldn't get your medical advice from just anybody randomly picked off the street. Why does it being typed and in my inbox make it something I should believe? That's about as random as you can get. I do get emails saying I'll be more popular if I take Viagra. Should I then click the link and buy some from who knows who and who knows where?
So if you're looking at your inbox and seeing an email forward from your dear friend, whom you generally trust and respect, ask yourselves these questions:
1. Is my dear friend, whom I love so dearly, a medical professional?
If your answer is yes, give the email one point.
If your answer is no, give the email a sideways glance.
2. Does the email in question contradict long-standing common knowledge?
(such as: you can die from using shampoo)
If your answer is no, give the email one point.
If your answer is yes, say "Hmmmmmmmm" suspiciously.
3. Does the email in question use vague references or little details?
(such as: "a coworker", "last week", or "Main St."?)
If your answer is no, give the email one point.
If your answer is yes, move your mouse closer to the delete button.
The second step is to check Snopes.com. They are the ultimate authority on all things forwarded. Use just one or two key words from the body of the email. They have received every email that will grace your computer monitor. They fact-check so you don't have to. Often they don't even need to. Many hoaxers and spammers will copy the text of an old hoax and just change a few brand names or cities to create a new wave of spam to decorate your inbox.
But you can find a lot of good medical information by just looking in the right places. Of course this is not personalized for you, it's general information and you should still always consult your doctor or call 911 if you think you are having a life threatening emergency.
Signs and symptoms of blood clots
The symptoms of a blood clot depend on where the blood clot is located in the body, as shown below:
Clot Location Possible Symptoms Lung Sharp chest pain, rapid heart rate (tachycardia), blood-tinged coughing (hemoptysis), shortness of breath (dyspnea) and low-grade fever. Arm or Leg If the blood clot is in an artery, it may cause sudden pain, swelling and a slight blue coloration. If it is in a vein, it may cause swelling and tenderness. Brain Visual disturbances, weakness, seizure, speech impairment (could lead to stroke or transient ischemic attack). Heart Chest pain (could lead to heart attack). Blood clots that form in the heart can also travel to any organ or artery in the body. Conditions that can lead to blood clots forming in the heart include atherosclerosis, valvular heart disease, past heart attack, enlarged heart, atrial fibrillation and heart failure. AbdomenSevere abdominal pain, vomiting and/or diarrhea. from http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/blood-clots.html
In the case of the email I got, you can read what the good folks at Snopes have to say:
The possibility of side effects and serious health risksSo what have we learned? Maybe it's cliché, but DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ IN YOUR INBOX! Secondly, don't forward everything you read, either. Unless you're sure it's true! Don't be responsible for misinformation.
(including blood clots, strokes, and heart attacks)
accompanies the use of any hormonal contraceptive product,
so patients are advised to use them in regular consultation
with their health care providers.
________________________________________________
Websites to bookmark:
- Snopes.com
- WebMD.com
- My Blog :)
Categories: internet
1 Comment:
-
- Anonymous said...
2/09/2008 12:14 PMAh, I'm so glad you're back to blogging! You often say the things I'd love to say, but with so much more humor than I could muster :) LOL Can't wait to have you back in town!