This Sunday we're having a Polynesian themed potluck at church. I'm in the middle of making a practice batch of Haupia. The recipe is a simple one, actually, using only four ingredients (coconut milk, water, sugar, cornstarch). (Dairy-free, Andi!) If it turns out, I'll share it here.

Haupia is a traditional coconut milk-based Hawaiian dessert often found at luaus in Hawaiʻi and other local gatherings. Since World War II it has become popular as a topping for white cake, especially at weddings. Although technically considered a pudding, the consistency of haupia closely approximates gelatin desserts and is usually served in blocks like gelatin. (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Update:
I have finished preparing the haupia.

It has to chill until firm, but I tasted the hot pudding and it was coconuttily delicious. When it's chilled, I am supposed to cut it into squares, and I bought a manila mango to slice up and garnish the squares with.

Handily, I have a large glass platter with a tropical scene that we got for our wedding. I plan to pick some passion flowers from our vine in the back yard, wash them so they're bug-free and pretty up the platter with them.

At least that's my plan. Often I run out of time on Sunday afternoons and things get less finishing touches than I'd like.

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Hmmmm -- I don't usually like coconut, but if it's just the milk it might be good (I like the smell of coconut flavored lotions!) And if I get to eat some mango with it, it can't be all bad! :)

Post a Comment