Here's a recipe from the Quaker Oats container that I modified. Too yummy! The third time around, I used a brown sugar blend from Splenda (in the baking aisle) in lieu of the brown sugar and Splenda granular instead of the white sugar. This way, it's healthier and I think next time, I might even reduce the sugar amounts. For the dried fruit, we chop dried apricots and combine them with raisins to make a cup (or just a bit more). I tried substituting apple sauce for oatmeal as I do in many recipes, but they result was a dry bar, so I don't recommend it.Anyway, here's my version of the low-fat recipe.
Low Fat Chewy Fruit and Oatmeal Bars
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
One 8-ounce container vanilla yogurt
2 egg whites
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp fat-free milk
2 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old-fashioned, uncooked)
3/4 cup Rice Crispies (optional)
1 cup diced dried mixed fruit, raisins or dried cranberries
1. Heat oven to 350F. Spray 13x9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugars, yogurt, egg whites, oil, milk and vanilla; mix well. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add to yogurt mixture; mix well. Stir in oats, cereal, and fruit. (Mixture will be thick.)
3. Spread dough onto bottom of ungreased 13x9 inch baking pan.
3. Bake 28-30 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.
Makes 2 dozen bars.
Categories: Food + Recipes
1 Comment:
-
- Anonymous said...
3/06/2007 8:31 PMDrat that dairy/soy allergy! Those look YUMMY!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)