I started "packing" on Monday. This actually means that I opened up a suitcase and as I came across something I thought I'd need on the trip, I threw it in. So this morning I've been sorting through the pile of things that had accumulated over the past several days, checking items off my list (my nod toward organization) and have finished packing Micah's suitcase.
It's really amazing how such a small person needs such a big suitcase. His suitcase is roughly the size of the playpen he sleeps in every night. I get the small suitcase. This may be a problem but I haven't finished so we'll see about that. It may turn out it's not a problem, since I own approximately five shirts and four pairs of pants. I do have a big fluffly coat, but it's down so it should smash down nicely and not take up much room at all.
I started my packing lists a week ago. I've been adding to it as I remember new things, so hopefully this time I won't forget anything. Of course that would be the first time in the history of me travelling that I would remember everything I need to bring, but it could happen. That's what I hate about travelling. The packing.
And when you stay in somebody else's home, it's so easy to forget to repack every item you brought with you when it's time to go home. In a hotel room it's easy. You have approximately a 18x18 room where there's a metal thingy around the bottom of the bed so nothing can get lost under there. All you have to do is make sure you're not leaving anything behind in a drawer. There are no other rooms to lose things in. There isn't much furniture to hide a stray toy or, heaven forbid, dirty laundry.
Not only that, but if you're paying $80-$100 per night in a hotel room, you're probably only staying a matter of days. You'll probably remember every item you came with at the time of departure. I will have about five weeks to have forgotten what I packed for Caleb and just over three weeks to forget all the things I packed for Micah and myself.
This is where the list comes in. I saved it on Google Docs so I'd have it available when the time comes to pack everything back up for the return trip. This should help. Should help. Yes.
So now, I'm left with having to finish packing my suitcase. This is the first time I've ever traveled and personally checked two suitcases. Part of this is because the weather at our destination being very chilly, and part of it is because I've never flown with an infant. Caleb's first flight was when he was almost two years old.
Can you tell this post is getting longer and longer? This is because I don't want to pack anymore. But I guess I can only ramble to delay the moment so long before you tune out. Ok, here I go. Wish me luck.
Categories: a day in the life