I promised Caleb a dessert after dinner this evening. He asked for raisins, and that's what I gave him. He commented on how good they were ("It's like candy, Mommy!"). I walked into the living room to check on sleeping Micah only to hear my darling Caleb call out, "Mommy, I got a raisin stuck in my nose!"
He woke up with a stuffy/runny nose this morning, so my first (dumb) notion was that perhaps his nose stuffed up and he couldn't breathe and he imagined it was a raisin, so I asked him if he was sure it was a raisin. (In my defense, I realized that was a dumb thought right away.) I had to ask him which side it was in, because I couldn't see it right away. So I laid him down across my lap, leaning his head back to get the light just right... And there it was, the stuck raisin. Almost not visible, that's how far up there it was.
The offending raisin is probably damming the flow of mucus back into his little brain, because he seemed quite excited to be heading to the ER. As I type this, he is probably sitting in the waiting room at the ER, waiting for a doc to perform a nasal raisinectomy.
RAISIN UPDATE:
I spoke with Bryan on the phone from the examination room. He said that Caleb was finally able to blow the raisin out of his nose himself, but the doctor was still going to do an examination. (Following procedure?) It is my theory that the runny nose lubricated the raisin enough that after some time, it was able to be dislodged by forceful nose-blowing.
Crisis averted. ;-)
Also notable: Caleb was still excited about his trip to the hospital upon his return. He proudly brandished his hosiptal ID band, referring to is as his "Caleb(InsertLastNameHere)". I have recently been talking to him about his last name, maybe he's got it now.
Categories: a day in the life
I'm glad the crisis turned out so splendidly -- and that Caleb was in such great spirits through the whole thing. Did you keep your calm the whole time? That could get tough, I'd think :)