My mom brought Caleb a Blue's Clues DVD and he's just this week been able to watch it. I normally use this blessed time to shower, cook, or care for Micah, so I have only caught pieces of the episodes.
One of the episodes on the DVD is called "Shape Searchers" - Joe and Blue have a bag of shapes and try to find items around the house to match each shape they pull from the bag. Cute, educational, blah, blah, blah.
Just a while ago, Caleb and I are drawing at his little table. I was busy drawing a teal cartoonish kitten, and he had just finished drawing train tracks of various colors. He looks up at and says, "I'm gonna draw a zoid."
A zoid? What in the world is a zoid? "Ok, honey, draw it."
So he draws a rectangle. And it hits me like a ton of bricks. My son just tried to draw a trapezoid. I can't remember knowing the word trapezoid before geometry class in 9th grade, and my three year old son knows what it is and not only that, but he's actually THINKING about it. So what if he can't actually draw it yet... He'll get that later.
Just thought I'd share.
Categories: a day in the life
P.S. I tried to leave this comment the other day and the word verification word wasn't showing up so I couldn't submit anything.
P.P.S. I love how the comment box asks you to choose an identity. Um, today I'd like to be the Tooth Fairy.