They say that three year olds are self-centered creatures. I can believe that. It's the age of "I want to do it," "That's mine," and other favorites.
But when my son "cooks" me something in his little wooden pots, and brings them to me... "Here y'go, Mom. Eat it, eat it.... 'S'good, huh? Want another bite?.... I('ll) make you pancakes."
Or if he catches me looking upset.... In the sweetest, softest voice, "Y'ok mom? Y'ok? S'matter? You ok, Mom, you ok," and punctuates it with a little kiss....
Or sometimes, for no reason at all, in the middle of playing or walking about or anything.... He walks up to me and plants kiss on any accessible part (forearms are favorites if I'm sitting at the computer, often knees if I'm on the couch).
I can believe that at least in those moments, my son is expressing in very tangible ways, that he is thinking of me and not himself. He's caring for me in the simple ways I care for him, because he knows I love him and he wants to show me he feels the same way. The mother-child bond famously strong.
So when people ask me I wanted this pregnancy to produce a girl (another personal question I take as rude), or if I plan to have another child in hopes of a girl, it makes me wonder if they believe my life doesn't feel complete because I have a boy (soon to be two).
Sure, there are some things I can't pass on to a boy that I could to a girl... The unimportant things we thought would be... My wedding dress, makeup, menstruation.... The important things too, like how to be a good mom (which is more done by example than instruction)....
And my Caleb loves cooking and shopping, at least for now.
But more importantly, he hopefully will learn how a mommy and daddy are supposed to be a team; that mommies (and daddies) are supposed to love their children through word, deed; and that mommies have as much to teach their little boys as daddies have to teach - not surprisingly also through word and deed.
Concluding this ramble, parents' job is to raise children to be happy, healthy, loving, and God-centered adults. I'd say we've got the start of that, and we've got to keep it up.