April 26: Here and off on a tangent
April 11: This is it
April 10: Time's a'wastin'
April 05: Getting anxious!
March 30: 50 Random Questions
March 23: Time
March 22: Forfeit, Payment, Recapture, and Redemption
March 20: And the award goes to...
March 17: Before you hit the FWD button...
March 14: Who is this child??
March 13: Pacific Northwest
March 12: Going, going, gone
March 08: Getting there
March 07: All Systems Go
March 04: Still amazed...
February 10: Goings on
April 26: Here and off on a tangent
I've been here for a while now. Actually our visit is more than half-way over. Kinda sad about that but I guess there's enough time left to try to enjoy.
Especially since my nicest friends are throwing me a baby shower! I didn't really get one with Caleb so I'm really excited. I even have enough baby belly now to "look pregnant" to anyone with eyes. (The vision impaired could braille-read my belly button to be convinced.)
Everyone keeps asking me how we're doing this time around. I love saying that everything is going 100% wonderfully. No "morning" sickness (minus some mild to moderate nausea in the very beginning), no complications whatsoever.
I can't remember if I wrote before that the docs say the likelihood of PPROM is 1 in 100, but for me - since that's why Caleb was born early (defeating all odds, might I add)- the risk is 3 in 100. Sounds bad when you say "THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY" but like Joe said, I could have 97 perfectly normal pregnancies by those statistics.
This is why I have a problem with statistics. They are measured by the past, not the future. I mean, I get that statistics are good predictors of future likelyhood. But, the LIKELYHOOD of something happening is no longer important when you're the 1 in 100 to which it happens. Does being that one make you more likely to be one of the three the next time?
At the risk of souding apathetic, for some reason (or 97, depending on how you look at it), I am unconcerned. Don't feel the need to worry. If my amniotic fluid rushes out as I click the "publish" button, I might worry some, although my faith and my God steel me.
Tempting fate, you say? I don't believe in fate. I do believe in God's plan, and God can't be tempted by my mere words, much less in my faith that He makes all things work out for those who love Him.
So back to how I'm doing with this baby... I'm great, he's great. He's a fairly active little guy, preferring to kick me in the southernmost right rib. We haven't decided on a name and are likely going to wait til we meet him to decide and/or announce it. Gotta have some mystery, people! My next OB checkup will be soon after I return to Travis, and it's the nasty appt when I have to get a gallon of blood drawn (me, exaggerate??) and pee in a God-forsaken plastic cup. The things we do for our children that we would not ordinarily do for ourselves... I could go on forever.
top
April 11: This is it
Less than 12 hours until the SuperShuttle comes to pick us up. Still not having much excitement at this point. I'm thinking maybe the downer is because of the whole airport thing. You know, too many things and not enough hands. So when I get there, I'm sure I'll be dandy.
I've just about gotten everything in the suitcase now. All except the things we'll need in the morning. My mom got back from Ecuador today and she gets to make the lovely trip back to the airport to pick us up. Anything for the beloved Caleb, you know. Perfect timing though, since we booked our trips independently and had no idea we were cutting it so close. It all works out in the end.
I'm praying for the flights to be relatively on-time and painless. The nice thing about flying with a two (almost three!!!!) year old is that you get to board in the first group and get settled in. This is good since we have the carseat to strap in. Caleb is technically old enough to not require one in flight, but I just think it's a good idea.
Not only because it's safer, but it's designed to fit a small child, so he has lots of support, nice padding, and I always say it's better to have a child strappped down than loose. I'm only half kidding about that. I just know that in a typical plane seatbelt, it would only take my monkey about three minutes to figure out how to unlatch the buckle. Then it's, "Caleb, sit down. Caleb, sit or kneel. Caleb leave the seatbelt on. Caleb, stop touching that. Caleb Scott! What did Mommy say?!" So car seats are definately the way to go for us! :) Safer and more pleasant for all those involved.
Ok... So "off we go, into the Wild Blue Yonder... Flying high, into the sky....."
Something that I just remembered.... Unrelated to my trip but related to the Air Force Song (what I quoted in the last paragraph)... We hear this song (Fridays?) at noon over the base loudspeaker. They didn't do that at McChord to my knowledge, but then again, we couldn't really hear the loudspeaker from our old house. Anyway, the last words to this official song are "nothing can stop the US Air Force!!"
Does anybody else see the irony or at least humor in saying "nothing can stop the US Air Force!!" and then breaking for lunch?
Just a thought.
top
April 10: Time's a'wastin'
Ok. So I've been really anxious (in a good way) to go back home to visit family and friends. Very excited. I hauled out the suitcase over a week ago and packed some stuff I wanted to take with me, gifts or whatnot.
So why is it that now that there are less than 48 hours until the plane takes off that I haven't put a single additional thing into the suitcase? That I've let Caleb run amok in the living room and all the evidence of that remains on the floors? Not a clue.
I did make a little progress last night in tidying up the house. Because, you know, houses like to be clean while they have the chance, and what better chance than when nobody is living in them for a couple of weeks?
Caleb decided to draw on the kitchen floors, cabinets, refrigerator door, and dishwasher door with his red crayon yesterday. I got that cleaned up (hurray for washable crayons, all it takes is a little water on hard surfaces) and hid the crayons away out of the reach of a certain monkey. I did take out the trash and hauled the can to the curb. (Sounds much more strenuous than it really was, since it's a downhill slope to the curb and the thing is on wheels...) I am in the habit of bleaching and/or lysoling the kitchen trash can these days, which is not new but now I do it every single time. So the kitchen is looking pretty good but that's not going to help me get to Washington, now, is it?
I'd normally chalk it up to just being lazy, which I can do with great ease, but I really feel like something is wrong here. Maybe it's some hidden anxiety over travelling alone. I have done it before, but not with a child. Except when I was a child, travelling with Claudia, but she was the older one and I was probably excited and hey, I didn't have to pack or clean those times.
The other time I travelled alone was to visit Bryan at tech school in San Antonio. Then, we were living in Bellingham (or rather, I was living there with all of his stuff). I can honestly say I don't remember a lot about that trip, or at least the getting there and back. I know I flew out there. But that's about it. I can't even remember how I got to the airport. Probably too excited, the newlywed starved of her spouse.
So I'm pretty sure this is a new feeling. Or rather, a nonfeeling, since I don't really feel anything at all at this point. Tuesday morning when the Supershuttle comes to pick us up, maybe I'll feel excited or anxious or at least nervous. I mean, I will be travelling as the lone adult (pregnant to boot) with a soon-to-be three-year-old monkeyboy named Caleb.
I may have mentioned previously that this requires: One large suitcase (albeit a wheeled one), one large and rather bulky carseat, one carry-on (which is more of a large purse), one stroller, and of course the aforenamed monkeyboy. This will be a sight to see, I'm sure.
I am the kind of person who prefers to be prepared, likes to operate in the most efficient matter, all in the name of living a life of reduced stress. This is especially the goal with this pregnancy... Anything I can do to help ensure the outcome is a healthy baby.
So at least if I'm going to be unemotional (strange: unemotional pregnant lady) about this for now, I will have to finish getting ready for the trip. Which means I have to get off this computer now.
top
April 05: Getting anxious!
I am so excited to be leaving for Home in a week! I made my SuperShuttle reservations today. It was a whopping $100 round trip, but cheaper than parking @ the airport, so it was ok.
I am really looking forward to seeing my family up in the Evergreen State, but also to catch up with some friends! One I haven't seen in literally YEARS, some a few months. I'm really glad to have this opprotunity since it will be several months until we can make it back up for another visit.
Most likely we'll stay here for Thanksgiving and make the trek as a family of four for the Christmas festivities. That will be a new experience!
This trip promises two baby showers (one for me and one for Stephanie) and Caleb's birthday party. Which reminds me I need to get those invitations out... I have been hermiting this week, and I need to get a move on.
I've already packed the non-essentials in my suitcase and have made a list of things I have yet to pack. I will have my hands full at the airport, with the large suitcase, Caleb in the stroller, my carry-on bag, and Caleb's car seat! I hope to devise a way to strap the bulky car seat to the stroller to help myself out. Hopefully some random Prince Charming will see this pregnant damsel in distress and offer to help.
I've never been to this airport before, so I'm hoping from the spot the SuperShuttle drops us off to the airline check-in counter will be a short distance. Our flight is at lunch time, maybe I can bribe somebody with food?
top
March 30: 50 Random Questions
Gotta love these little questionairres people send...
1. Where were you 1 hour ago? in the kitchen unloading the dishwashwer
2. When is the last time you filled up your gas tank? Last week
3. What is the most amount of money you spent in one store? Not that much
4. Is there anything pink within 10 feet of you? Yes, my MSN Space on the screen
5. When is the last time you went to the mall? About two weeks ago
6. Are you wearing socks right now? No.
7. Do you have a car worth over $5,000? Yes
8. When was the last time you drove out of town? Well there are two towns right next to the base, but we drove to Fresno about a month ago
9. Have you been to the movies in the last 5 days? No
10. Are you popular? Only with my friends ;)
11. What was the last thing you had to drink? Apple juice
12. What was the last thing you mailed in the mail? Can't remember
13. Do you wash your car? No
14. Last fast food you ate? Chuck E Cheese pizza
15. Where were you last week at this time? Somewhere in my house
16. Have you bought any clothing items in the last week? No
17. What bank do you use? USAA
18. Do you own any land? No
19. What do you want to be when you "grow up"? Wiser
20. Your dream vacation? Europe?
21. Last boat ride you went on? Visiting the USS Arizona (?)
22. How old are your parents? As old as they feel
23. What was your first car? 1990 Acura Integra
24. Do you have any single friends? Hardly any
25. Last play you saw? Something in high school
26. Have you been to New York? No
27. What are your plans for tonight? Watch CSI?
28. Last concert you went to? Third Day or Downhere
29. Next trip you are going to take? Washington in April
30. Ever go to camp? Camp Orkila with 6th grade class
31. Were you an honor roll student in school? Yes
32. What is your current GPA? I don't get grades on parenting
33. Are you wearing any perfume or cologne? No
34. Are you hungry? No
35. Where is your best friend located? WA
36. Do you own a cowboy hat? No
37. Do you have a tan? No, it's cold out
38. How old do you want to be when you have kids? Kinda late for that
39. Do you collect anything? Swarovski Annual Christmas Ornaments
40. Is this quiz annoying? Not especially
41. Last time you got pulled over? 2002
42. Ever been arrested? No
43. Been to Mexico for Spring Break? No
44. Do you like hot sauce? No
45. What is the name of your first pet? Chica & Chester
46. Do you need to do laundry? Possibly
47. How many friends do you have? Enough, but there's always room for more
48. Are you someone’s best friend? I hope so
49. Are you rich? Hahahahahahahahahaha
50. Do you wear jewelry? Yep.
top
March 23: Time
It's almost been three years since Caleb was born. It was a difficult time for him. He's come so far in (almost) three years, that even though we have intellectual knowledge of the time it is still amazing and almost shocking to come across proof of how small and frail he was.
This morning we posted an actual-size picture of his footprint on his webpage. The footprint was taken by one of our favorite nurses, Cora, in the NICU shortly after he made the transition from the isolation room into the "big room" with the other kids.
It was Mother's Day, and another very sweet nurse named Kim had made Mother's Day cards for all the moms with kids in the NICU. So we have kept this momento of his early infancy and we're glad to share it with you.
But as you look at it, don't you say, "wow, he was SOOOO tiny"? Even though I was there every single day, it is still astonishing to me how truly miniscule he was! And he wasn't even the teeniest preemie there, so that aught to really amaze and astound.
Anyway, I guess I'm being especially reflective because of Caleb's little brother growing inside of me... A new life, a new tiny one, means also that Caleb will never be so tiny, so frail, or so dependent ever again.
Now astonishing, I'm sure he will keep that up for a while longer.
top
March 22: Forfeit, Payment, Recapture, and Redemption
How easy it is to become distracted by our lives and disengage from friendships over time. When we finally get refamiliarize ourselves with those we forfeited along the way, if we ever do, and discover what they have endured...
Should we long to have been able to be there for them? To wish that we could have been there to support them when they needed to lean? Regardless of the fact that we can't change the past or rewind back into it, the heart of love is to endure with one another. As the Apostle Paul put it, "with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love".
Shall we feel shamed for these failings? Shall we feel petty to have found so much comfort in our own lives to have neglected the needs of those we once held dear? I say at first it is right to be ashamed, that is proves the depth of feeling and caring for them, because we would not be ashamed if our hearts were not bonded in love.
But secondly it woudl be wrong to continue shame and guilt. Because the heart of love is that we are forgiven, that we forgive each other, and that we forgive ourselves. We can not rightly put our own personal punishments over what the Lord our God deems to be just. So the cure for our shame would be to go on and love, perhaps love more deeply, to disburden eachother and praise God together for each blessing received.
top
March 20: And the award goes to...
So since I talked about my #2 pet peeve, I thought I'd go ahead and share my #1 pet peeve.
And the award for most annoying goes to:
"Nucular"
Bryan likes to say this to me just because he knows how much I hate it. Once on The Late Show with David Letterman, I saw a segment they titled "It's Pronounced Nu-KLEE-r". It was, I don't know, 20 seconds(?) of video clips of George W. Bush saying "nucular" in various speeches. Just that one word, over and over. "Nucular, nucular, nucular, nucular," etc. It makes me laugh when it's put THAT way. But really, it kills me.
When did it become ok for people to just pronouce words as they please? Can we just add and subtract vowel sounds as we deem appropriate? If your name is Roberta, can I call you Robta, Rotaba, Roberata, or Reberta?
Please just say nu-klee-r and I'll call you by your real name.
Along with this most conspicuous offense, I add the flagrant use of the apostrophe. Nevermind that nobody says it right (you know you say a·pos·ter·phe - if you even know the name of that little punctuation), but so many people just don't USE it right!
"Either this will ring bells for you, or it won't. A printed banner has appeared on the concourse of a petrol station near to where I live. "Come inside," it says, "for CD's, VIDEO's, DVD's, and BOOK's.
"If this satanic sprinkling of redundant apostrophes causes no little gasp of horror or quickening of the pulse, you should probably put down this book at once. By all means congratulate yourself that you are not a pedant or even a stickler; that you are happily equipped to live in a world of plummeting punctuation standards; but just don't bother to go any further. For any true stickler, you see, the sight of the plural word "Book's" with an apostrophe in it will trigger a ghastly private emotional process similar to the stages of bereavement, though greatly accelerated. First there is shock. Within seconds, shock gives way to disbelief, disbelief to pain, and pain to anger. Finally (and this is where the analogy breaks down), anger gives way to a righteous urge to perpetrate an act of criminal damage with the aid of a permanent marker."
"While we look in horror at a badly punctuated sign, the world carries on around us, blind to our plight. We are like the little boy in The Sixth Sense who can see dead people, except that we can see dead punctuation. Whisper it in petrified little-boy tones: dead punctuation is invisible to everyone else-yet we see it all the time. No one understands us seventh-sense people. " Lynne Truss, Eats, Shoots & Leaves
Is it so hard? I say no. If it were hard, elementary school children around the country (world?) wouldn't be taught this. If it were hard, there would be Punctuation 101 in college.
top
March 17: Before you hit the FWD button...
It's gotta be my #2 Pet Peeve...
Only one thing annoys me more than this. I'll post on that at some other time, but for now I have to tell you this.
I'm not donating money to a ficticious sick child. Neither is AOL or Microsoft going to donate one cent per time I forward this to all my friends to said child (since the means for such tracking is yet unavailable). Swallowing toothpase won't give me cancer (but it might give me diarrhea). If I boycott my local gas station tomorrow, i'll still have to buy gas next week. Wearing overalls doesn't increase my risk of attack by a serial rapist (but it might increase my risk arrest by the fashion police). My signing a (fake?) email petition won't stop a random congressman from voting yea or nay and it won't stop my internet service provider from charging me for instant messages (since it wasn't going to anyway).
What gets me is not the actual content of the messages but that people blindly pass on the half-truths (or untruths). And what happens then? The nonsense gets passed on exponentially... We who think we are so smart are actually incredibly gullible when it comes to emails. If it's in print, then it must be true! If so-and-so sent it to me, it must be true!
It just kills me. Really. If I see "FWD" in my inbox, unless it's followed by something that promises a laugh, I will sometimes send it straight to the trash folder. Sometimes I'll open it and scan to see how many horrible things will happen to me (and everyone I know) if I don't send it on. Sometimes I'll look it up at snopes.com so I can inform the sender on the true nature of the claims.
Another variety of FWD that is less annoying to me is the occasional inspirational story. Often, though, these are laced with accusations that if I believe in God then I must forward it, and if I don't, then I must not truly believe (or am ashamed of my Lord). COME ON! Ask me any day, any time, if I believe in God and my answer is a yes every time. But this does not obligate me to forward every little faith-related anecdote that graces my monitor. Ask me to pray for you. Ask me to pray with you. But don't expect me to clutter up the inboxes of the people I call my friends!
A spin on this is the military pride FWD (support the troops, etc). The same statements made in the preceeding paragraph apply here.
SOOOOOO....
Before you hit that FWD button to warn me about something that's a) bound to poison or kill me, b) going to morally outrage me, or c) going to cause me to miss out on my one true love "asking me out" if I don't forward it to thirty of my closest friends.... Think twice!
Be a purveyor of truth!
(stepping off my soapbox now)
top
March 14: Who is this child??
Since Bryan has been gone, Caleb has been acting out of character. He cries hysterically when I tell him we can't do something (like go feed the ducks when it's raining outside), when correct him (we eat breakfast downstairs, not upstairs), or when he's having trouble with something (chair is stuck).
This could be either of two things (or a combination of the two).... Either it's part of his growing up or he's having trouble coping with Bryan being gone. At least this is my personal assessment.
The words most commonly heard in my house in the past 48+hours: Calm down, honey.
The easiest thing to do is get impatient, punish him, etc. But that's not what I want to do. I think it mostly has to do with Bryan being gone, since it started the morning after he and Caleb said their lovey goodbyes.
He talks about Daddy a lot, and whenever they get together on the phone, Caleb mostly spends the time telling him to come home. One thing I did that I wish I hadn't... I told Caleb we would go to Chuck E. Cheese's when Daddy returns. I should have kept this tidbit to myself. He is forever asking about Chuh-chuh-Cheese and I keep having to say that we'll go when Daddy comes home. Bad me.
Especially since Chuck E. Cheese's is Caleb's paradise. Next time we'll just surprise him with a trip there, instead of mentioning it beforehand. And of course there will be one more "next time" in the near future. Bryan will be gone for probably a month again for training (we're not quite sure when, but this spring sometime)... I hope that Caleb will be calmer - for both our sakes - the next time around.
A girl can hope.
top
March 13: Pacific Northwest
For those who have ever lived in the Pacific Northwest:
Subject: Judgement Day
A curious fellow died one day and found himself waiting in the long line of judgment. As he stood there, he noticed that some souls were allowed to march right through the Pearly Gates and into Heaven. Others though, were led over to Satan, who threw them into the burning pit. But every so often, instead of hurling a poor soul into the fire, Satan would toss a soul off to one side into a small pile.
After watching Satan do this several times, the fellow's curiosity got the best of him. So he strolled over and asked Satan what he was doing. "Excuse me, Prince of Darkness," he said, "I'm waiting in line for judgment, but I couldn't help wondering, why are you tossing those people aside instead of flinging them into the Fires of Hell with the others?"
"Ah, those..." Satan said with a groan, "They're all from the Pacific Northwest... they're still too wet to burn."
(not doing much better in the east bay, lately, either!) -Carla
top
March 12: Going, going, gone
So today was the day. Some know of it. Well...
Bryan's gone. Temporarily. I mean, really temporary.... About two weeks. Not a big deal, but it's a fact none the less.
Actually to some (Caleb) it will be a big deal. Last night we were explaining to him (or trying) that Daddy had to go far away to Texas. This revealed to us that Caleb can say Texas really well. Anyway, I am not sure he was getting the whole concept. He did seem a little sad, but then when Bryan went to finish packing, Caleb asked me if Bryan was going to Grandma's house.
Well, yes, Caleb, Grandma's house is far, but it's not in Texas. (At what age does the concept of geography make sense?). I told him Grandma's house is in Washington, which is far away; but Daddy is going to Texas, and that's far away too. I reassured him Daddy would call on the phone every day. And when he gets back (I threw this in as a distractor and I may or may not feel guilty about this) we can go Chuck E. Cheese's. ("Chuh-chuh-Cheese" according to Caleb.)
This seemed to brighten him some. But then again it was bedtime and he was itching for a reason to get up, so when Bryan came in the room Caleb was rearing to go to Chuck E's. Ah the joys and tribulations of age two.
So we read some books (an old favorite) Freight Train, and (a new favorite) Corduroy Goes To School. He actually took a turn "reading" Freight Train for me, which shows how great the memory of this kid is (he didn't get that from me!). And on the page where Corduroy takes care of the class pets, we were delighted to hear that he fed the "dweebil" which turned out to be the gerbil and gave Bryan and I many a giggle.
In the middle of the night Caleb came in our room and climed onto the bed (probably half asleep). I, being fully asleep, am not sure how much time he spent there but not long, I assume, since Bryan is fairly good at returning him to his bed promptly. So he is waking up late this morning and will ask me...
"Whe Daddy doh?" (where did daddy go, for those of you who are toddlerese imparied)
And he'll first suggest that Daddy is at work, which is usually the case. But he'll then remember this far away business. And then I'll reassure him that Daddy will be back in two weeks, try to show him on the calendar, and distract him with the fact that we're going to church today and there will be kids to play with. And this he loves, so he'll be excited.
At least this is how it goes in my head. I hear him getting out of bed now, so we'll see how it goes in reality. Here we go...
"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
-Adam Savage, from TV's Mythbusters
top
March 08: Getting there
All who know me would not be surprised to know that the doctors harass me about my pregnancy weight gain.
Let's say my pre-pregnancy weight is X.
At my first weigh-in (First week in Jan, not sure of the date): +3
Second weigh-in (Feb 9): -.8
My reaction: WHAT?! I got BIGGER, how could I possibly have lost weight? I know I didn't. I eat. Never threw up.
Doctor says he may send me to a nutritionist (i.e.: waste my time and theirs) if I don't start gaining one lb a week. ARG! I know I didn't lose any weight.
My theory: I was weighed on two different scales (two different hospitals). They are digital scales. I don't think that they are necessarily calibrated to be exact. This is ok for somebody who isn't trying to gain weight. Say, for example, you go to your doctor for a checkup. You weigh, say, 132lb. Ok. A month later you feel sick so you go to the doctor and they weigh you. You weigh 130lb. No big deal right? Maybe even happy? Well I am NOT happy. Read on and I think my theory will be supported.
At my THIRD weigh-in (yesterday): +5.6lb (digital)
Woo-hoo and I don't believe it. I gained weight, sure, but over four weeks, no way. But hey, at least the docs can't harrass me, right?
Well it just happens I had two appts and they weighed me at the second one, too, since it was in a different office. And guess what! The results weren't just off. Mind you this is less than two hours since the third weigh-in...
Fourth weigh-in (yesterday): -2.1lb
How do you explain this? I was wearing the same clothes, had actually eaten a meal, and had not cutt off any appendages. I can't imagine how I lost over 2lb taking the elevator to the next appointment. Well, refer to my theory as previously mentioned. Scales are not created equal. They are not friends, they don't talk to eachother.
So my new doctor and I came up with a plan. I bought a digital bathroom scale. I will now weigh myself weekly and keep a record. Bring on the calories.
top
March 07: All Systems Go
Today I am 18 weeks and two days pregnant. As we know with Caleb, every day counts. I had my test today and I was right, the test says everything is normal. So still no reason for the pPROM with Caleb, which is fine with me. I was told today that my risk is 3:100 of it happening again. (Normal risk is 1:100). So nothing to fret over, really. I also got the results for my "triple-screen" blood test: Normal!
We got to hear the baby's heart beat again today, a healthy sound if there ever was one. Caleb heard it again, too, and he loves to imitate "baby heart" by thumping on his chest and imitating the sound from the doppler. He also got to hear his own heart beat, but it was not as clear of a sound (it's a fetal hear monitor, not a monkey heart monitor) so I don't think he was too impressed. He just refuses to put a stethescope (sp?) to his ears, which i guess is a good thing. Things really shouldn't go in the ears, buddy.
top
March 04: Still amazed...
Preterm premature rupture of membranes (pPROM)
(from webMD)
Preterm labor usually begins shortly after pPROM occurs. Sometimes, when a slow leak is present and infection has not developed, contractions may not start for a few days. Generally, the later in a pregnancy PROM occurs, the sooner the onset of labor. Labor begins:
* Within 24 hours in 50% of pPROM cases.
* Within 7 days in 75% to 90% of pPROM cases.
(from http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw221349.asp?navbar=hw222108)
With Caleb, I had pPROM (not as fun as high school prom) from 20 weeks and carried him for 8 1/2 weeks longer. Is this not incredibly amazing still? It is to me.
I am 17 weeks now with Baby #2, and so far, everything is dandy. Maybe in three weeks I'll throw myself a party. Or in 11 weeks.
Like I mentioned in my rant yesterday, the doctors want to do an ultrasound on me to check for a certain... abnormality. But they say my last pregancy doesn't really fit the profile for this abnormality/condition. And while some causes of pPROM are known (and I had none of these), doctors will admit there are times when it's just a mystery. (Although I doubt they'd say it like that)....
So I'm figuring that it was "just one of those things" and going along like normal this time. Informed and aware, but just being a regular pregnant lady. :)
top
February 10: Goings on
Just thought I'd share with everyone what's going on here lately.
The first thing, actually, is not what's going on here, but going on back at McChord. Bryan was named Wing (base) Airman of the Year, after winning at the lower levels (Squadron and Group). I was suprised they'd choose somebody who wasn't stationed there anymore, but I guess they really do go by who's the best. I'm really proud of Bryan for this accomplishment and we're both grateful to God for it too.
Secondly, I had an OB appointment yesterday. It went really well, if you don't count them LOSING my medical records already. Bryan and Caleb came along, and we were all able to hear the baby's steady little heartbeat (140 bpm - beats per minute).
We're sure Caleb doesn't truly understand the significance of what he heard, but he kept talking about "baby heart, baby heart." When I asked him what did it sould like, he patted his chest and said "psh-psh-psh," which I thought was a pretty good impression of a heartbeat for a two-year-old!
Also, when we asked him if he'd like a boy or a girl, he said, "guul." Too bad gender isn't determined democratically.
top
0 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)