I just had the classic after-school-with-milk-and-cookies chat with Caleb. Except it was milk and carrot muffin. Micah, Bryan, and Doodle are napping, so the house was nice and quiet (for once).

I found out his grade won the school-wide reading contest and they had an ice-cream party. I was hoping they had the classic ice cream cups. You remember those? Half vanilla ice cream and half orange sherbet. Those were so completely awesome when I was in school. They even came with a little peanut-shaped wooden paddle to eat it with. Unfortunately he had no idea what I was talking about, which means that's not what they had.

He also brought home a permission slip for the Missoula Children's Theater auditions. This year they are doing Pinocchio. We had a short chat about how a lot of kids don't get picked, and how every part is important, even if there is not a lot of talking. So he'll be trying out next Monday.

I am a little surprised that he wanted to to do it. He used to love being the center of attention, but recently has shied away from it. Two summers ago I signed him up for a little three-day drama camp at the Children's Museum, and when I saw him, he had designated himself the curtain guy. So he would open and close the curtains, but he didn't want to be in the little play. That's fine. I could relate.

We always encourage him to do things that are just outside his comfort zone without being forceful or making him feel guilty if he doesn't want to. I think a lot of us would be bolder people if we had just tried and seen things weren't as bad as we feared. I think that confident people -- people who are willing to try to do what most of us wouldn't dare (within the parameters of decency and the law!) -- earn respect a little more readily and worry less.

But if you try something you're just not good at... Oh well! Nothing is lost. Actually you have saved yourself from wondering if you COULD have, so you're better off either way. Everybody is really good at SOMETHING, right? Most people are at least moderately good at multiple things. Some of us aren't good at what we wish we were. But if we think about it, and can be honest about it, we're at least pretty darn good at something.

So we try to encourage the boy. And if he just doesn't like it... There are always Legos. And that's something he's good at. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment