So here is something I learned today. At the ER. With Micah. Because he stuck a piece of raw carrot up his nose. And a nurse told me this. I am not making it up.

He said when this happens, you can plug the other side by pressing the nostril with your finger, then doing a CPR-style mouth breath. He said this can make quite a snotty mess on your cheek, but also often can dislodge whatever is in the obstructed nostril. Of course this did not work for Micah when we tried, because in the nurse's professional opinion, "Carrots are harder."

So it took a little bit of work of Micah blowing and sneezing, and the doctor suctioning. When the chunk was close to being out, he yanked it (gently) with a pair of forceps.

I was surprised at the size of the carrot. I was picturing something pea-sized yet more squarish. It was at least two or three peas worth (by volume) of carrot, in the oddest shape. I don't know how he got it to fit, but I'm not surprised it was hard to get out, regardless of how mucus coated it was.

The doc offered to put it in a little container so we could take it home for Micah to show off, but I suggested we'd had about enough with this particular bit of vegetable, so he threw it out. Which brought to mind Micah's question when I told him we'd have to go to the hospital for them to take it out: "And then I can eat it again?"

Nope, I don't think you'd want to.

2 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    You're right, I didn't know. I consider myself enlightened.
    kathryn said...
    eew, 'can I eat it again?' BLECH!

Post a Comment