We were at my mom's house for lunch today, and she made chicken and some steaks that we brought over on this odd circular pan-thing. Well, SHE didn't know what it was called, but the food tasted just like it had been grilled! So tonight as
the boys are finishing up their soup dinner (with leftover steak from lunch) I Google "stove top grill", and low and behold, I find it!
It's one of those as-seen-on-tv sort of items, which tend to be hit or miss (at best) on quality, but this seems to be a winner! It is a two-part design. There is a stainless steel ring with a reservoir where you put a little water and which also serves as a drip pan. This is the lip of the pan that you see from above. The cooking surface is heavy duty and convex so that the fat runs into the slots and collects in the drip pan below.
My mom uses a gas stove and our (current) stove is electric. I have some concern that it wouldn't work as well on an electric stove, but the sales pitch claims it works on electric too. (Not recommended for glass-top stoves, though.) So when we move out of this place into a house where I have room to cook and store cooking stuff, I'm totally going to get one of these! I can't wait to eat the chicken leftovers tomorrow...
Categories: a day in the life, Food + Recipes, shopping