I learned how to knit in elementary school after my class read a story in which the main character learns how to knit. I can't remember the story after all these years, but I remember everyone in the class knitting... But alas, I didn't keep it up and eventually the how to of it faded from my memory. (As so much does.)

When I was pregnant with Caleb I tried to re-learn but I could only remember how to start. Needless to say I didn't get very far. I think I still have that ball of yarn in one of my boxes that are packed full of craft supplies in my mom's barn.

Well this year she bought me a really nice red yarn for my Christmas stocking, but since we didn't do gifts, the stocking was full and the yarn didn't fit. So she gave it to me, along with some lovely fat wooden knitting needles (the same ones I learned on in elementary school). I think I have to give those back, but I'll be slow about it.

So she and I together were able to remember how to start the knitting, and it started coming back to me. Caleb came into my room while I was knitting away, and asked me what I was making.

"A scarf, I think," I said.

"Can you make me a scarf when you're done with that one?" he asked.

"You can have this one!" I replied.

So I knit a bit more until I had a scarf of a reasonable length for a small boy. Then I took my work back to my mom so she could show me how to finish it off.

Let me take a break here to let you know how much I am finding that I am just like my mom. I look at her and figure in time I will BE her. Sometimes that is scary. This was one of those times.

"I know you have to cross them over," That is all she could remember after trying a couple of times to start the finishing process. "I can see myself crossing them somehow in my memory."

I am so like that.

Luckily, Bryan was there. "Check on YouTube," he said.

So I checked on YouTube yesterday and sure enough, there are some excellent tutorials on knitting. And I thought the only thing on YouTube was downhere videos and people hurting themselves in one way or another.

So as a service to all three of my readers, here is how I knit my scarf, courtesy of YouTube. The videos are from "ExpertVillage" featuring a lady named Michelle. I didn't like the ways she showed how to cast on (start) so I found another lady showing just how I remembered how to do it.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Who would have thought you could get free video tutorials on YouTube?! Wonder what else you can learn there!

    P.S. I love the new look of your blog!
    Gina: said...
    Haha. Thank you for sharing! A friend and I were shopping for yarn for our crochet projects (all we know how to make are scarves) and we were commenting on how neither of us have a clue how to knit... maybe that'll be my next endeavor :-)

    Do you have pictures of the scarf?

Post a Comment