As a little girl in Peru I always enjoyed eating these fabulous treats. It's a sandwich cookie like you've never had before. The cookie is soft but not chewy, delicately crumbly, and mild tasting. Between the two layers of cookie is manjarblanco, and it's finished off with a dusting of powdered sugar.

Peruvian manjarblanco is somewhat like dulce de leche, but not exactly. It's used inside a variety of other baked goods, as a spread, and Tejas candies.

Since moving to the US in 1989, I have seen (and therefore eaten) alfajores only twice, and that's just since living here in California at the Peruvian restaurant in Concord. So imagine my surprise when we stopped off at Saxby's Coffee in the mall so Bryan could get his coffee fix and we see these in the baked-goods case!

So of course we purchased the remaining two alfajores and brought them home. Bryan laughed at me for taking the pictures, but I had to share this with you!

So as always when I eat something this marvelous, I googled alfajores and found a couple of recipes that look promising. Apparently there are several versions of alfajores out there from various South American countries, but I found a Peruvian cooking website that had the simplest of all recipes.

I have converted Bryan and now he loves them as much as me, so we're going to try to make them on Valentine's Day (HIS IDEA!). I'll let you know how they turn out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment