Ok so as usual I'm procrastinating on the previously mentioned things I need to write about, but here is a super good tip I just came up with for cleaning the microwave. I normally hate cleaning it so much that I let it get waaaay too gross, which becomes a self-perpetuating debacle. So my way is based on a product we bought once, which is a cleanser-soaked disposable cloth in a plastic wrapper that bursts open when heated in the microwave. But they are expensive and stink! My way is simpler and probably costs 1-3 cents.

All you need is a few paper towels and a little water. And of course a dirty microwave. Starting with one paper towel, fold it into quarters and get it wet. Saturate it so it's slightly drippy. Then microwave it for 1-2 minutes. Wait bout 30 sec, then open the steamy microwave, take the wet (warm-to-hot)paper towel and use it to scrub/wipe out the grossness. I use rubber gloves for this part. Then take a dry paper towel and finish the job. (You might have to repeat the steaming with a new wet paper towel if your microwave is as bad as mine.)

I'm considering trying it out with a little vinegar water next time, but for now this is way better than our old 409 & elbow grease method. Try it out and let me know what you think!

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Great tip. You'll have to let me know how the vinegar experiment goes -- I'm too chicken to try heating vinegar in my microwave :)

    Now, get back to work updating on the stuff you're supposed to be telling us about: outings, airline travel, cop testing, meteors and coughs.

Post a Comment