This year marks the 60th anniversary of the Air Force. To mark the date we are going to the Air Force Ball on base. It is being held inside a hangar. We've been to these before, while we were at McChord. Sometimes they were great fun, but once the band was really terrible and we left early.
These events have a speaker, usually some high-ranking visitor. There are also introductions of all the top-ranking attendees and their spouses, including any city leaders who may be in attendance. I may be getting my Air Force dress-up events mixed up, but I think there is usually a video of the contributions and accomplishments of the particular wing (base).
Then there is food. Usually it looks better than it tastes, but it tastes pretty good with a little (or more) salt added. This is usually done buffet-style, and I always carefully avoid any beef or fish items, as they are usually overcooked to a criminal degree.
But of course the best part is getting all dressed up. Most people don't get to dress up for any function in adulthood. So this is the big chance! This year I had the luxury of choice without spending any money. I have three dresses to choose from, one being a gift from my sister. THe other two I have worn in the past (gasp!) but can wear again. (Having not worn them in the company of anybody who will be attending this event, sans Bryan.)
The boys will be watched after by two of our good friends at our house. Caleb was already telling me to go to my grown-ups party yesterday so they could come over, so I think he won't have any trouble. Over the last several months, he and Micah have had a few babysitters they know from church, and he's always been good with them. Micah tends to be the more high-maintenance of the two, but he usually does well. To tell the truth, we often wait to go out until after he's been put to bed to make it easier on the sitter, but this is one time when we don't have that as an option. However, since it will be a couple who will be with them, they should have little or no trouble with it.
It is true that children behave better for sitters than for their parents. At least in this house. I'm sure it's the novelty of having "friends" over to play who aren't bossing them around every day! :)
So now I have a lot of things to do to get myself and my kiddies ready, and I will close this by saying that I [holding up right hand, which makes typing harder] will take pictures and post them ASAP.
Categories: military