*WARNING: Parent talking about child's digestive troubles. *
Today has been a day of cleaning up baby vomit. This is less fun than it sounds. It started first thing in the morning. While I was breastfeeding Micah, all of a sudden he unlatched and puked on himself, me, and all the blankets and pillows around us on the bed. Daddy reported a dry-heaving episode at the changing table.
Thinking he had just gagged or overfed, about an hour or two later, I fed him some baby oatmeal cereal. He ate his usual amount, just more than a quarter cup. After, he breastfed until he was full. I put him in his exersaucer a few minutes later, and in no time, he puked again. The exersaucer did a good job of catching a great deal of the puke, keeping Micah clean and dry except for his hand.
This evening he was playing in his baby swing and fell asleep. He woke up and was babbling at me and/or the toys from the swing when he puked again. Again! So again I cleaned him up. This time he had not eaten anything and had last breastfed probably two to three hours earlier.
Ten minutes later, as I was consulting with my mom about the mysterious vomiting, he tried to throw up again, getting only a phlegmy substance to come up, then a little dry-heave again. My mom suggested rice water, and so I made some for him. He actually voraciously drank about five or six ounces of this in his amateur-sippy-cup-drinking manner. I was impressed since he rarely drinks even an ounce of water when we give him a sippy cup for practice.
Caleb, when he was a baby, projectile-vomited every night for a week. That was a mystery too. As suddenly as it came it also went.
Aaah, babies.
Categories: a day in the life
2 Comments:
-
- Anonymous said...
1/26/2007 10:03 PMBabies are strange -- I HATE to puke. But babies seem to do it so happily :) LOL Did he keep the rice water down? I will be praying that Micah kicks whatever is bugging him soon.- Hello said...
1/26/2007 10:17 PMHe actually seems to like the rice water and has kept it down well. He is as eager to drink it as I'd be eager to drink a strawberry milkshake right about now! (Yum)