I have never shopped from QVC or any other order-from-tv sort of service, but how I love my online shopping. Especially since I'm carless most of the time these days, it's great. The only downer is the dreaded shipping and handling fee. Of course, if it's reasonable and the total price is comparable or still less than what's I'd go out to the store and pay for, I'll still go for it.
But take this for an example. I lost a CD-ROM and needed a replacement. There was no download available (my first choice since I wouldn't have to wait for it), and the actual CD-ROM cost $19.99. Not bad, I think. Plus tax. Ok, I can live with that (it's about 7.3% here, so that's only $1.46) . Plus shipping and handling. Ok, how much is that? $9.99.
TEN BUCKS?? That's 50% of the price of the actual CD! Not only that, but a packaged CD weighs a few ounces as most; shipping can't be the bulk of the $9.99 fee, maybe about three dollars of it. That leaves us handling.
I think I reasonably could package 30 CDs an hour for mailing. Could I make $209 an hour working for this company as a "handler" of CD-ROMs? I highly doubt it. Yeah, sure, you're thinking that part of that fee has to be for the packaging materials, storage space, etc. Don't burst my bubble. Regardless of other costs, I think it's unconscionable to be charging 50% in S&H fees.
So back to my original point, which is the wonder that is Online Shopping. There are some online stores that I frequent because of their fabulous (Overstock.com) or great/reasonable shipping costs.
I recently ordered a ******* (blanked out for "security" reasons - hahaha- i'll fill you in after Dad's Day) for Bryan for Father's Day from Amazon.com. This is a big item, not terribly heavy, but definately oversized. I signed up for a free trial of Amazon Prime and got free two-day shipping. It got here today, and I'm very excited to be able to surprise him AND not spend an arm and a leg. (It was on sale for 99.99 and since they don't charge tax, that's exactly what I paid for it.) We, as a couple, love a great deal.
And we will love the ******, and every time we use it, I'll be able to say, "wow, I really got a great deal on that." And that knowledge helps me to enjoy it all the more.
Categories: internet