Heard of it? The uncontrollable urge to prepare for the new arrival? Supposedly kicks in around the 25th week of gestation... Yeah, it's not really happening around here.
Maybe it's because of all the upheaval of our trip back home and then the Moldyville incident and having to move to a new house...
But maybe it's just like morning sickness... Didn't have any with Caleb and this time around it was so mild as to really be worth mentioning. Didn't have any nesting with Caleb (not that I got the chance, really) and this time it's so mild....
Sure, I got Caleb's old clothes out, washed them, put them on hangers or in the drawers... I set up the crib and put the freshly laundered bedding on it. (Ok, so I ironed the comforter, but that was only to smooth out the appliques that were coming off.) I attached the mobile to the crib and reassembled the bouncy chair. I dug out the baby toys and put batteries in the activity table, but that was more to accomodate twelve-month-old Deven when he came over.
None of this seems as extreme as nesting is supposed to be. I haven't broken out my toothbrush and gotten down on my hands and knees scrubbing every last inch of my house. Now if shopping can be counted toward nesting, then I am definately having urges there!
I am dying to get to the BX and buy the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Aquarium Take-Along Swing. Caleb didn't like the swing we borrowed, but if I'd kept it around long enough and tried it out later, he would probably have loved it. I like the idea of it being portable, taking up less space than the typical swing, and it's just plain cute. I also like the idea of buying something new for the baby, since almost all of his things are hand-me-downs from Caleb and his second-cousins.
But it's hard to go through with the shopping urges when you're stuck at home without a car, and by the time the car (and husband) get home, it's time to make dinner, then it's time to eat dinner, then you're too tired at that point to go do much walking around. Especially since walking around makes the ol' hip joints hurt. But that's another blog post altogether.
Oh, I've also picked out and washed the baby's going-home outfit and packed it into the new diaper bag. And I sterilized a pacifier and packed it too. (Even though it will probably not get used.) Does that count?
Seems like my nesting instinct is missing in action, but I guess that's ok. I mean, I don't really think I'd want to spend my every waking moment cleaning and folding tiny laundry over and over again. I'd rather do the fun stuff part of preparing and clean when things actually are dirty. ;)