It has been beautifully warm here for weeks, like a Washingtonian summer. But the last few days, I am getting a taste of real heat. Yesterday, last we checked, it was 101 degrees. The breeze that had kept the mid 80s comfortable did not save us. It wasn't as breezy as usual, and 101 degree air moving slightly still feels like 101 degree air.

We went to a base-wide picnic yesterday. It may have not been the best choice of days for a picnic. We did enjoy free bottled water (lots!), hotdogs, corn, and chips; Caleb got his first horsey ride and was completely thrilled; and the Home Depot had little projects for kids to do. We took ours (helicopter) to go!

After a couple of hours, though, no matter how much water we drank, we had to return home. The heat was completely unbearable, especially in the middle of the day, and we were glad to step back into the air-conditioned comfort of our home.

Today was slightly less scorching, but this evening after dinner we ate watermelon on the patio. It had cooled significantly (to 76 degrees or so) and felt quite pleasant. Of course, without breeze, the windows are staying shut and the A/C is staying on. Seventy-seven degrees, in the house, is just too hot to try to sleep (or anything else). We tried last night and it just wasn't happening.

Of course, this is just the beginning. The official start of summer is June 21st, right? I don't even want to know just how hot it gets here. I don't want to think about how long summer will be. I'm sure we'll get to enjoy the "real" summers around here, I'm not complaining (too much).
But just so you know, when people ask me about the weather in Washington, I never say that I hated it. I loved the true green and I accepted the rain. This.... This will take some getting used to. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment